Thursday, January 9, 2014

Classics Club

I've decided to join the Classics Club, which is a good reason to read some of the many books I've bought, many of which I've started, then gotten distracted and never finished, through no fault of their own (that I'm aware of). Plus a few this gives me an excuse to pick up.

My goal is to finish them by December 31, 2018. I'd say it would easily go much faster, but it depends on how distracted I continue to get, so I'm playing it safe.

My List:
  1.  Shihab al-Din al-Nuwayri: The Ultimate Ambition in the Arts of Erudition 
  2. Grant Allen: The Type-Writer Girl
  3. Asser: Life of King Alfred 
  4. William Baldwin: Beware the Cat (etext link)
  5. Honore Balzac: Lost Illusions
  6. James Boswell: Boswell's London Journal, 1762-1763
  7. Hall Caine: The Manxman 
  8.  Ernest Cline: Ready Player One
  9. Samuel Taylor Coleridge: Coleridge's Notebooks: a Selection  
  10. Jane Collier: An Essay on the Art of Ingeniously Tormenting
  11. Jeanne Delavigne: Ghost Stories of Old New Orleans 
  12. Maitreya Devi: It Does Not Die  
  13. Charles Dickens: Dombey and Son 
  14. Charles Dickens: Oliver Twist
  15. John Donne: Devotions Upon Emergent Occasions (http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/23772)
  16. Arthur Conan Doyle: The Lost World 
  17. Mircea Eliade: Bengali Nights 
  18. Henry Fielding: Shamela 
  19. Masanobu Fukuoka: The One-Straw Revolution
  20. Anne Fuller: The Convent 
  21. Elizabeth Gaskell: Cranford
  22. George Gissing: New Grub Street 
  23. Francis Godwin: The Man in the Moone 
  24. Eliza Haywood: Adventures of Eovaii 
  25. Eliza Haywood: Anti-Pamela
  26. Frank Herbert: Dune  
  27. Yoshido Kenko: Essays in Idleness
  28. Frances Parkinson Keyes: Crescent Carnival 
  29. Rudyard Kipling: Kim 
  30. Harper Lee: To Kill a Mockingbird 
  31. The Letters of Abelard and Heloise 
  32. J. Sheridan Le Fanu: The Cock and Anchor 
  33. J. Sheridan Le Fanu: Willing to Die 
  34. Delarivier Manley: The New Atalantis 
  35. Talbot Mundy: King of the Khyber Rifles 
  36. Kay Nielsen: East of the Sun and West of the Moon   
  37. Florence Nightingale: Her Diary and "Visions"
  38. Elliott O'Donnell: The Sorcery Club (http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/14317)
  39. L'Abbe du Prat: Venus in the Cloisters
  40. J.B. Priestley, Benighted 
  41. Pu Songling: Strange Tales from a Chinese Studio
  42. Samuel Richardson: Pamela 
  43. Maria Amparo Ruiz de Burton: Who Would Have Thought It?
  44. Charlotte Smith: Celestina 
  45. Dodie Smith: I Capture the Castle 
  46. Johannes Trithemius: In Praise of Scribes 
  47. Anthony Trollope: Can You Forgive Her?
  48. Edith Wharton: The Buccaneers 
  49. Ellen Wood: East Lynne 
  50. Emile Zola: The Ladies' Paradise

3 comments:

  1. I struggled with Kim, but I love To Kill a Mockingbird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, Kim is one of the things I'm reading right now! And I think To Kill a Mockingbird is actually the weirdest thing on the list, just because I almost never read American Lit. But I'm told it's really good. :)

    ReplyDelete